How to Design a Kaftan at Home
Design Your Own Kaftan!
A simple internet search of the word “Kaftan” brings up a myriad of differing versions of this free flowing garment. Although the traditional Arabian version is a long kaftan, extensive enough to sweep the ground, other styles can include 3/4 length or shorter kaftan tops designed for beach cover-ups in the West while the longer version is used for formal occasions in the Middle East, although simpler pieces are used on a daily basis in many homes.
The more elaborate formal kaftan designs can take hours of hand sewn attention due to intricate beading and professional threading, although it is quite easy to make a simple house kaftan with even the most basic of sewing skills!
Why not try to design your own ladies kaftan today?!
All you need to make your own beautiful kaftan design is listed for your convenience below…
How to make your own kaftan:
- A pair of fabric scissors
- Sewing pins
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine or hand sewing needles
- Fabric of your choice
- Coloured thread to match your fabric
- Start off by choosing a fabric that is suited to kaftan designs. Kaftans tend to be made from very lightweight materials to ensure a free flowing soft fall around the body. For a better design, opt for a good quality silk, satin or cotton blend (the highest quality designs are always silk kaftans). Depending on your own personal style, you may like to choose a fabric in a bright printed design or something in a very subdued hue for an earthier look. You can even use the fabric to make a matching hijab style!
- Fold the length of the fabric in half, spread out flat on the floor. Ensure you have bought enough fabric to cover your body’s height twice over. The fold will be used over your shoulders when the kaftan is complete, so make sure you have evenly folded the fabric over in half and that each half is ample enough to cover your desired height from neck to feet and width from shoulder to shoulder, plus some more left over to cover the tops of your arms.
- Measure yourself and decide on which length is needed to perfectly fit you. The average sizing offered by most kaftan manufacturers is 50-60 inches in length, but due to your own height you made need a longer or shorter version. For length try to measure from the top of your shoulder to the bottom of your feet. Don’t forget to measure around important areas such as your bust and hips to ensure you are going to end up with a loose, flattering shape. Remember Islamic fashion is about having style, as well as modesty!
- Loosely measure your neck. In the fabric fold, cut out a hole that will allow you to put your head comfortably through it when it comes time to wear it. Using either a sewing machine or hand sewing, sew the newly cut edges into a neat interior hem so they do not fray.
- Next, leaving a gap for either arm to go comfortably through, sew the sides of the kaftan from just under your arm pit to the feet.
- Sew a basic hem at the feet of your fabric to ensure it does not fray.
By following these simple steps, you can now make your very own quickly sewn Arabic kaftan. A design such is this is perfect for luxuriously lounging around at home with friends though if you prefer a professional, heavily detailed and adorned kaftan; see Wahat AlJalabiya’s latest collection of traditional and elegant kaftans. We have designs for every event, whether it is a simple house kaftan or an elaborate reception piece that you are after!
Go behind the scenes and see how we make our kaftans and jalabiyas in the video below.