Tag archive: Fabric
Design Your Own Kaftan!
A simple internet search of the word “Kaftan” brings up a myriad of differing versions of this free flowing garment. Although the traditional Arabian version is a long kaftan, extensive enough to sweep the ground, other styles can include 3/4 length or shorter kaftan tops designed for beach cover-ups in the West while the longer version is used for formal occasions in the Middle East, although simpler pieces are used on a daily basis in many homes.
The more elaborate formal kaftan designs can take hours of hand sewn attention due to intricate beading and professional threading, although it is quite easy to make a simple house kaftan with even the most basic of sewing skills!
Why not try to design your own ladies kaftan today?!
All you need to make your own beautiful kaftan design is listed for your convenience below…
How to make your own kaftan:
- A pair of fabric scissors
- Sewing pins
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine or hand sewing needles
- Fabric of your choice
- Coloured thread to match your fabric
- Start off by choosing a fabric that is suited to kaftan designs. Kaftans tend to be made from very lightweight materials to ensure a free flowing soft fall around the body. For a better design, opt for a good quality silk, satin or cotton blend (the highest quality designs are always silk kaftans). Depending on your own personal style, you may like to choose a fabric in a bright printed design or something in a very subdued hue for an earthier look. You can even use the fabric to make a matching hijab style!
- Fold the length of the fabric in half, spread out flat on the floor. Ensure you have bought enough fabric to cover your body’s height twice over. The fold will be used over your shoulders when the kaftan is complete, so make sure you have evenly folded the fabric over in half and that each half is ample enough to cover your desired height from neck to feet and width from shoulder to shoulder, plus some more left over to cover the tops of your arms.
- Measure yourself and decide on which length is needed to perfectly fit you. The average sizing offered by most kaftan manufacturers is 50-60 inches in length, but due to your own height you made need a longer or shorter version. For length try to measure from the top of your shoulder to the bottom of your feet. Don’t forget to measure around important areas such as your bust and hips to ensure you are going to end up with a loose, flattering shape. Remember Islamic fashion is about having style, as well as modesty!
- Loosely measure your neck. In the fabric fold, cut out a hole that will allow you to put your head comfortably through it when it comes time to wear it. Using either a sewing machine or hand sewing, sew the newly cut edges into a neat interior hem so they do not fray.
- Next, leaving a gap for either arm to go comfortably through, sew the sides of the kaftan from just under your arm pit to the feet.
- Sew a basic hem at the feet of your fabric to ensure it does not fray.
By following these simple steps, you can now make your very own quickly sewn Arabic kaftan. A design such is this is perfect for luxuriously lounging around at home with friends though if you prefer a professional, heavily detailed and adorned kaftan; see Wahat AlJalabiya’s latest collection of traditional and elegant kaftans. We have designs for every event, whether it is a simple house kaftan or an elaborate reception piece that you are after!
Go behind the scenes and see how we make our kaftans and jalabiyas in the video below.Details
Affordable Wedding Dresses
Recent trends in wedding fashion call for summer wedding styles. To think of a wedding dress that is affordable and summer it is best to consider what type of wedding it will be. The type could be casual or formal. As a rule, choose a dress that suits the season and the elements. Every bride-to-be have a wide range of options to choose from.
When choosing for a lightweight fabric with less accessories, choose one that will keep you cool during the hot summer day. Designs suchs as strapless, belts, tank tops, or alter could depend on the bride-to-be’s taste.
The fabric must be chosen perfectly to complement the style of dress and costume of the bride-to-be. Elegant selection of fabrics include chiffon, rayon, tulle, organza and cotton blends. Instead of using ribbons, laces and accessories that will weigh up the dress, opt for a light and airy dress.
Shopping early will give enough time to find the perfect dress with sufficient time to inspect each flow of the fabric. Watch out for sales that usually start in spring, where affordable wedding dresses are always good catches. The wedding industry is busy during the summer months and it may take a while to have a dress custom fit done for you.
The bride should have a clear vision of what she wants for the wedding: a summer dress in the morning or a cool breeze dress in the pool. Choosing the perfect dress will themed out the general setting of the wedding.
Set some ground rules ahead. Lay out your budget, location and determine the formality of the wedding. All these will lessen the stress when it comes to preparing for the perfect wedding you dream of!
If you want to have a unique look at any type of wedding, visit www.aljalabiya.com to view our wide range of jalabiyas that are fit for any special occasion!
Special Occasion Jilbab Styles
Wahat Al-Jalabiya’s line of special occasion jilbabs is guaranteed to leave a magic impression wherever you go. To enhance the beauty of every woman we blend classical and modern design with a combination of harmonious rhythms that cross between traditional culture and contemporary style. This line of jilbabs is a collection of designs for those special moments when a fashion statement is a must!Details